Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

19 October 2008

thoughts about Grandads and library runs and commutes



My maternal grandfather, Grandpa Tom, knew Jerry Clower and we used to listen to his records together. I laughed and laughed.



We all rode to the library on Saturday. We had very little time to spend, because I'd gone to the shop for brake mount posts for the Karate Monkey's latest incarnation as Camping Bike. I, uh, lost track of time. I came home to the doghouse...










Sunday I rode to work on this bike:


Who can say what it is? Some old English racer, probably a Raleigh, that was given to me years ago and has been many incarnations of itself.


Today it is a 5-speed mixed-group beat-on Campy drivetrain, with Diacompe centerpulls and Mafac levers. Jitensha flat bar. Brooks B68. Nigel Smythe bag. I decided to go with downtube shifting in order to keep the bars clean, and I figured I could use the front lever for controlling the generator contact. {after not being able to find the correct cable end to fit into the bracket on the generator and riding this set up with it's impressive reach to shift- I'm a mount up some thumb shifters instead}


The heart of the bike is the lighting. I had this Union-Marwi BB mount generator powered headlight/taillight that's been sitting for several years. The Shimano generator hubs are so much more efficient feeling that I've let this set up languish. But a true beater is a beautiful thing, and the ratty looking wires spiralling around the tubes really add an air of dilapidation which communicates to potential bike thieves that they should move on, that this is not the bike for which they're looking.


Those ______-____ing pedals are on my short list. They blllllow.

So, roughly 22 miles total commute, and it feels real nice. Though the lighting wires are something of a pain in the ash in spite of their awesome tattiness. I had a lot of contact adjusting fiddling to do in the dark by the side of the road tonight...

5 comments:

bloodline said...

what about the no lights thing or is that just for moonlight rides

Jonny Hamachi said...

I like that bike. I had to buy one of those bars awhile back. Still don't have a bike for them yet, but you know. Looks great on your ride.

reverend dick said...

mr. andrew- I am not above making myself safe on a well traveled road.

Get back to me after you've ridden in the dark in the dark and we'll discuss.

johnny hamachi- I do know. Just like you know.

Gunnar Berg said...

That Hershberger laden mixte looks pretty dern nice.

reverend dick said...

She rode it to a friend's birhtday party yesterday, and a guest told her it was her "dream bike". It does look good.