Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

31 October 2008

Fruit flies like a banana

Our truck has been making a jingling(baby) sound. Almost as though it had sleigh bells ring-ting-tingling. I figgered it was bearings (hope not) or brakes. So Friday the 31st, Halloween, I dropped it off in Cside(!) at 9am after dropping J at his preschool out in the valley.

Then I rode my bike:



Stopped at Baldemiro's for a burrito to go.



Sneaky entrance...looking back at the penninsular ridge.


There are some trails over that way. {motions with eyes significantly}





I used the phot-op as an excuse not to jump it. Again. Sometimes I jump it and when I do, it is fun. I'm just not so good at the jumping, so I keeps it on the ground mostly.

After some time in the woods I came upon a fella out running with his dog, who both kindly waited off trail for me to come speeding by. I thanked him and gave the customary summary of who's behind me, "No more." After riding several other trails, I came out onto the road and there they were again, 20 minutes later. The dog was leading and as I went by he increased his pace to match me and I said to the guy, "He wants to go." The guy clearly wasn't innerested in chit-chat, so I left it at that and made to pull away. Only the dog started after me. So I poured it on, and the dog pulled up next to me and looked over at me as he paced me (speed increasing the whole while) as if to size me up. At that point I was way forward, attempting to sprint {no comments necessary from the coaching section} and that dog just held it, not even working. What could I do but laugh? The dog pulled up after 1/4mile or so and circled back to his guy. I circled back too, and when I came up on them the dog moved in to cut me off! I put out my hand, but he was having none of it. Then he followed his guy onto another trail. That was a Good Dog.

I used to have the quiet conviction that if it really came down to it I could get away from a _____________(insert predator here, but I always assumed Mountain Lion). Aaaah, you know you think the same too.

I do not have that opinion anymore.

Today was eye-opening in terms of all the trails being clearly visible. Even the little trafficked game trails seemed clear. The underbrush foliage has well and truly dropped.



I, uhhhhhh got confused, and took this freaky bone trail. It was bones and more bones. Some cow, then the deer you see, then more cow...

Including the pirate arrangement...


and ending here with this black helmet on a pole?! Never seen this trail before. Maybe it's only findable on All Hallows Eve.


I stopped for lunch.
Sometimes I am smart. Here I demonstrate the possible use of an unopened beer to work out Trigger Points in the base of Levator Scapula. Put that in your shuttlecock.


It is not TexMex, but it is Good anyway. Looks like lunch to me.

And so. Due to a combination of poor decisions which reveal far more about me than I care to share with you people, I had to ride back home to get my wallet.

On the way I spied a person on a (what appeared to be fixed) powder blue Pinarello. I assumed it was fixed because the person (I could not tell) was wearing very snug black pants and had only a front brake. Then there was coasting. What?! So I taught that damned gypster a very clear lesson about pretending. I did this by riding away from this person and not even looking at him/her. I feel certain that hit home.

Time flies like an arrow and all. Once home, I had to modify the plan further and swap bikes (from the Kampe Monkey to the LHT+trailerbike)

and ride out the valley for the boy. He liked that. I keep having the intention to take him out and back via bike, but it never seems appealing to ride Carmel Valley Road. And with good reason, this time of year- the vicious/ capricious head winds are back. But it was a Good Time anyway. And worthwhile. Let that be a lesson to me.

N called as we were riding. She had gotten a rare ride to school in the car this morning, and had been counting on catching a ride home with a friend/friend's mom. No such luck. So J and I swung by her school and loaded her up, too.
Here she is sharing the trailerbike with J while wearing her baby costume. That rig handled very shiftily.

What? Huh? It was the brakes. Had the rotors resurfaced, new pads, new fluid. Car expenses are hard to swallow. Especially in this time.

6 comments:

fxdwhl said...

another inspiring blend of kids and bikes. one hand on the bars with two kids out back was a nice touch.

reverend dick said...

shhhh. The picture's representation of some magical place in time is supposed to make you forget the fact that some jackass did something stupid to snap it...

Besides, I was in total control.

Human Wrecking Ball said...

You shoulda drafted that canine...bastard!! till his tail dropped and then taken his biscuit!

I am scared sh@#$%less of mountain lions after a NG special I saw on the one that took out a couple people in L.A. Is there any precautions that are smart, or is it like surfing and sharks?
Good thing the Panthers here are all but gone. I got chased by a pig once. I out ran his bacon butt.

reverend dick said...

Basically it's surfing and sharks.

Except you can, uh, BREATHE if you are under attack! Seriously, I cannot think of a more terrifying event than a shark attack. Scary.

Pumas are active at dawn and dusk. Oh, and at night. And sometimes during the day. But mostly at twilight.

That dog could have taken me easily whenever he chose.

fxdwhl said...

why does your grill cover say spank me?

and did you need to use tandem cables/housing to run barend shifters with the bar tape keeping everything nice and neat?

reverend dick said...

The grill cover's sticker is from a band called "The Asylum Street Spankers". They are worth a listen, maybe I'll throw up a clip.

We rode bikes to that particular show, as I recall.

No, the regular cable juuuuust reaches. I cannot stand to have the shift cables exit halfway (or worse, not be wrapped at all), it messes with my grip.