Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

13 October 2008

Familiar Doings


Got out today for the (now) Regular Loop. A nice blend of pave and dirt, with 2 climbs of the ridge from top to bottom, and lots of small rollers in between. Some sneaky things. Some Town, some Country.

Fall really has arrived judging by the smells, the chill in the air, and the activation of allergies here in our household this past weekend. But you wouldn't have known it today. The Pacific was totally becalmed here on the central coast. Hot. Clear. Blue.


I took the fixxed Crosscheck. Having put on the new Hunter stem last week, and taken it for a test ride on the (yes) same loop, I put the bike away with the intention of sorting out the current issue. That being the finding of a loooong bolt to hold the top cap firmly in place or the purchase of a new fork which would enable the use of a standard top cap bolt. Or just leave it as is. And you know how I do. Same as you do.



Yes, Dear Reader, for that initial ride I threw caution to the wind and rode the new setup with no top cap, figuring the adjustment would be held just fine by the pinchbolted brake hanger while I swapped stems. Well, I paid it some mind, and thought about it as I tore threw the maritime chapparal that passes for underbrush around here. In the time between then and now, the best intentions being what they will be...I did not address this issue in any way. But today I wanted to ride this bike anyway, so I did it again. The new fit is outstanding (thanks, Rick) and looks sharp, too.


Man, I love to ride a fixed gear bicycle! Climbing up the hills, I feel centered over the bike and the way foward. Just getting tractor beamed along in a nice rhthym. Super traction, immediate response. No sitting back at any point; it's simply not an option. Legs not as supple as they could be on the spinny descents, but not too terrible. Good Times.



Now, alls I have to do is sort out the top cap issue.

Oh, and adjust brake lever position and play with the bar angle to accommodate the new fit.

And Ride by the light of the silvery moon tonight!

No comments: