Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

17 August 2008

a palpable hue of anticipation


SINGLE SPEED WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS 2008, baby.


I start my taper as you read this. Time to ramp up phase II, in which I find out just how many canned beers my pack will hold. Got to get some more koozies...

After my day of running on Thursday, my legs felt assy. Friday found N babysitting the boys while I malingered along all these trails, uh, testing my setup. (No on the flowered brown twill western shirt- too hot.) Sneaky pete stuff to Cside to Fort Ord. Then back to Joselyn's to harass customers and staff. Up Veteran's through Pebble trails and home. Maybe 40? 45? It was a longer ride, nowhere near the climbing Napa will present, but a nice leg shaker.

I need to bleed my brakes, get new/knobbier tires, a 20t cog, and some aluminum headset spacers (the carbon fibers are creaking and make me nervous). I'd also very much like to put together a papier mache cougar like we talked about before, and string it along the race course on a zip line. Realistically, there's no time. But it's fun to imagine. There would be some freaked out Europeans, fo sho.

On the way back into town, I stopped along the bikepath to talk with a homeless guy I see around. He offered me a cigarette (which I declined, as I don't smoke them), and I offered him some beer (which he declined, as it wasn't "his day to drink"). He's got an interesting bike set up for the looong haul (barcon shifters in barends mounted inboard of his grips, Ortlieb panniers, nice quality racks, tidy gear stowing, everything painted green and brown), and is clearly not a whacko- just a guy with no permanent address. His name is Henry. He's retired and rides around living wherever he's at. He'd just returned via bike, from a trip up and down Hwy 1 to San Diego. Just because. It was interesting talking with him, and I'll stop to do it again. He should have a blog, and you should read it instead.

2 comments:

macmorg said...

First of all, as a European, I can safely say that a papier mache cougar head on a zip line is hardly the thing that would freak me out. Americans voting for "W" for two terms, now that's something that shivers me britches....
Secondly, the word verification for the commentary is "egzzopp", I have now found the name of my bike frame company.

reverend dick said...

Well, as a European, you may not know this like us Americans: Euros do not have any lions!
Hence, a FULL SIZED replica of a fierce and wily AMERICAN LION would scare them silly. Just the head would simply BE silly.
Does that make it more palatable? What if the lion had a beer in it's paw and you could grab it? The beer.

I did not vote for W, and was amazed and saddened that some of my fellow lion hosting Americans could not see the mess that administration has made and voted for it twice.

Is "egzzopp" Gaelic for "scary lion"?