Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

10 August 2008

Double up, double down


Saturday was nice. Woke up too late to make the scheduled ride, arrived at the 2nd meet up spot and listened to Van Halen while suiting up. My meathead brother feels that the album is weak, but his taste is suspect and he's stupid. Turn it up. Nobody else showed. So I had the trails in Fort Ord to myself. The ride was hot and full of sand, like my sweetie.

The stairs were empty. The little woodland creatures stripped them of their easter eggs in my long absence. At least the poison oak is in color.

Full suspension in the woods.As per the instruction of my lifecoach, who neglected to show, I tried the full squish on the local trails...
Look what somebody did to the slide jumps!

I made some poor decisions getting back from #50.

I've said before how nice #49 is- my favorite section of Fort Ord- I'm sayin it again. It is revealing to ride this bike on it. I think my trail preference dial is just set at 11=swoopy and smooth. I felt like I was hauling around a lot of extra wiggle, and not needing it. I'm gonna let that be the word on that.I was surprised to see how full the wetland is.
Then it was home for couple hours before jumping on this machine to head to work.
There was a problem, lots of noise, which I thought was with my chainline. I looked down, but it seemed ok. I stopped to check it out...
After work, on the way home, I took the extra stealth poach up the valley wall. It feels like straight up the wall. At the most, only I and a dozen (at the outside) senior citizens from ______ _______ know these trails exist. They are an extra double-sneaky backdoor to the sneaky pete stuff. Sometimes its creepy in the trees there. It feels like prime mountain lion territory. But maybe it's cause I'm worried it's a bust.

4 comments:

Chris Burnham said...

We need to get ya a map of where that second meeting spot is, its definitely not the cut off and normandy...

reverend dick said...

Are you my life coach?

A map. Better to get me a git away car. I was at the appointed spot- the cut-off parking area. I don't know what kind of new school secret handshake hideout y'all are meeting at...and, for the record, that is the spot.
Toy with me and I will build a nest in your carport and live there.

Anonymous said...

Your life coach is the trail, it will always be there.

Finally, nice to see the full squish in all its glory, though it looks as though the Karate Monkey has been sacrificed at the altar. With a fork that is leaking like that, does Grommet get the recognition he begs? DHX air...sweet.

I know its a personal thing, but as a father to squishy, slothy darkside, I offer the following: Real (big) men need real (big) rotors, especially up front. Avid!?! the mysterious B___ S_____ is probably doubting your sincerity and commitment to Interbike. Now that your ass is liberated and independent, do the same to your toes. How much better a dancer could you be, if when you pirouetted, you didn't unclip. Ditch the Ergons, especially for those bars, and go Big Gay Randy style with Ourys.

The FS looks fun, I can't wait to ride with you in the topsoilless west.

reverend dick said...

Big Gay Randy, huh?

Well, if he ever rides gloveless then he'll have damn sticky hands.

Yes, the KM lost some parts. It wasn't seeing a whole lot of action generally, though. I'd rather ride my singlespeed. Yes, the Avids are weak- it's especially noticeable on an FS how much wiggle there is in the pad mount. But, as always, it's what I had on hand.

The KM will come back strong as a dropbar camping bike, I think...