Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

20 August 2008

The End of Summer?

Yes, I told her she must lock the front wheel as well from now on.

School started at our house today.


3rd grade for D, at the same school, same schedule, same route by foot. He doesn't pay attention to his surroundings to ride alone, but he likes the independence of doing it himself. Middle school for N, and a new routine- different times, different school, and riding to school versus walking. L accompanied her this morning on her bike. N was very resistant to riding- different excuses were floated but it boils down to (laziness) peer pressure. She doesn't want to be "the only kid in school who rides their bike!" It's too bad she was born into this family where her pleas fell on deaf ears. We sussed out a really nice route that only involves one big street crossing (at a light), and 5 blocks total riding with traffic. I could not have imagined a better access. Her bike is parked under some dense tree cover, so it's as protected as it would be outside anyplace. The school doesn't have a bike rack (!), and when I asked about it they claimed no one was using it so they "had it removed". I'd make it an issue if the access/parking were not so OK, but as it stands it's better in my eyes. No one sees the bike where it is now.

J and I trailerbiked down to meet her after school, and lo and behold:


Yep, those are kids' bikes. They rode them to school. Looks like she's not the "only..."
She's the only kid in school with a sweet ride.

2 comments:

Human Wrecking Ball said...

There may be a market out there for a life coach that can get kids on bikes.
Post me a seminar schedule, I'll be front row.
Preach on Rev!

reverend dick said...

WB- You are too smart to pony up the exorbitant fees I would demand were I to speak publicly.

I have been anonymously informed that the Trail is my life coach, and that it's always there for me. That seemed True.

As for the kids, well. I didn't ask N what she wanted to do (knowing her answer), I told her she was riding. I'm lucky in that she will follow direction, and isn't the kid who'd skip school. If she were someone else, it'd be different. Incentives work wonders, too.
We've raised her in a household that tries to be environmentally conscious in all regards, so she takes that as a given, and can see the connection in riding. I think children nowdays get the necessity of this (taking care of our planet) even more than their parents a lot of times.
Also, it's no small thing that bikes have been so integral in our lives, especially recreation. And anytime she's ever brought up getting a car, she's been informed she'll be getting a bike. For any of a number of reasons- health, environment, money, etc.

Finally, and probably most realistically, she has a safe route to ride. As safe as can be, as life has no guarantees.