Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

18 September 2008

Perhaps I've watched one too many Westerns


Well, that can't be true.
Seeing as how the formula for # of Westerns watched (or read) can be derived from that of the # of bikes needed, a la: X=Y+1. Wherein X is the # needed, and Y is the # currently in the quiver.


In any event, I swapped the (recommended for SSWC2008, and rightly so!) 20t cog back down to the 16t the other day. Made for some Good Times. Why, just today in fact was Good due to a little SS Action! Rode something sneaky, and had a little STranger danger. Yep. Had to run for the hills- and I mean that quite literally. I ended up, after lurking in some bushes for 10 minutes, climbing (the backside of) a tree to have a crafty view of the coasts' clearness. Ridiculous.

Dude, I'm nearing 40 and this is what I do for fun? Yep.












Perhaps you are wondering what the heck Westerns have to do with this. Well, obviously, I learned all this useful tracker lore from them, and that's why I took the deer trail (since it was an established trail, it would show no signs of my passage and be reasonably clear running) and why I climbed the tree (no one is looking up in trees for fugitives, and climbing the backside is effing woodcraft) and why I waited 10 minutes before moving (most people would blow it and move too soon, unlike the crafty mountain man). That's what.

Use this distilled Western wisdom wisely.

4 comments:

Human Wrecking Ball said...

Killer post. Hide and seek is a great game ...I don't care how old you are!

bloodline said...

so what are you running up top if it's 16 in the rear?...i thot you would like that... now give me a rimshot

but seriously now... i'm using a 38x16 for cyclocross and not hating it...although it has been pretty dry hear, if it rains i'll go back to 19 teeth or somethin'

The Minister said...

Glow-in-the-dark skulls are very necessary in this world... everyone should have them on their rear hubs.

Hide-n-seek, eh? Fun times.

reverend dick said...

32, baby. 180 cranks on the 29er SS, with 2.35" tires.

On the cross bike, I think I'm running a 42x16 (fixed), but I'm too lazy to go look. 175 cranks, with 31mm tyres. I need a bigger gear with the fix so's I can keep pedaling on flats/descents. Hopefully.