Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

08 January 2008

Rainy Day Cruise

Lots of debris in the streets today as a result of the storm. Esge/SKS makes fenders with a breakaway feature for the front, to avoid lodging things in between fender & tire and locking your front wheel to send you over the bars. I never really saw the need before today...stopped to pull stuff out of the fenders 3 times. Pretty Honjos are so shiny, though. Their contructeur glitter calls to my beady magpie nature.

J and I were going to the park, trying to beat the rain. We didn't. Tried out my new Craft rain pants, though, and they worked as well as rain gear does. They have a nice cut, built-in removable suspenders ( I like), very nice dual velcro leg cinches, zip open ankles for ease of put-on (which was appreciated while frantically shoving my shoe clad feet thru on the side of the road), and an extra-layer saddle-resistant crotch. My trusty yellow rain jacket kept me dry until it didn't any more, but I've found this to be true of all "breathable" raingear. At least I was warm and visible. (Now, some have voiced the opinion that being visible is a liability while riding, but some are nuts. B___ S_____, I'm talking to you.) Long sleeve wool, and wool knickers work good under all this;warm when wet and all.

J was warm, visible, and DRY in his Burley Solo. Tucked into a wool blanket, with his plastic tools. Tells me "say woohoo, papa"-his standard bike mantra. Tells me to say it louder,louder,louder, ok. My brother, the Big Dummy, says it's a good thing N is smart because J is gonna need a lawyer. It's true.

Took the Long Haul Trucker, and was real happy with it. Rock steady, baby, that's what it is. The Surly Nice Racks are a recent addition, and they are sollllid. Been very happy with the Shimano DH-3D71 generator hub and light, and N has the same on her townie with equal satisfaction (read work-/reliabil- ity). Wool bar bag from Rivendell needs a cover if you wanna use it in the rain, I found. My book ("Pattern Recognition" by W. Gibson) was waterlogged. Look at how muscly the leather tape looks with the housing routed under it...love that. The feeling of well routed housing is not to be underestimated. With Campy Ergo, or barcons of whatever type, the housing should be right where your fingers curl at the 2nd knuckle. It's the little things. Feeling subtle beginnings of crunch in the drivetrain- bummer. The rear hub seems the likely suspect. So I did what every good mechanic does, and left the bike on the porch...



I haven't been riding lately, so ~15 miles in the rain was good.


Speaking of books, I'm working my way thru the catalog of Tim Powers. Last Call, 3 Days to Never, Declare...all excellent work. Do any of y'all have any recommendations based on this?


Ride dry...

3 comments:

Paul Pincus said...

Last image reminds of that famous Ryan McGinley shot.

grommet said...

I don't even know "what" the hell you guys are talking about?

reverend dick said...

Grommet- That's because we're havin' a high brow conversation here.

Paul- Whose shot?