Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

22 January 2008

Don't push the red button.

Another rainy day start. Testing the Rain Cape while in easy-motion-mode pulling the trailer.
The cape works well in that I stay much cooler than in traditional raingear. And no one can see what I'm up to in there, which is nice. It catches the wind waaaaaaay too much to ride fast in it. It is NOT ideal for high traffic areas, as it really impedes moving the hands around quickly. Nice and styley ( and cool) for low traffic moderately paced rides. Also, it keeps me dry when I'm standing around in the rain much better than a jacket.

Look at the snow(!) on Toro... it was chilly. We rode to Joselyn's to pick up a blinkie light, and get some pictures taken. then it was on to REI in Marina to buy some chemical feet warmers! Upon application, my feet weren't warm in my regular mesh Sidis, but they were comfortable.

The skies cleared on the way out..see the double rainbow.


Then we hit the dirt. Your eyes see 48 (!) cm Nitto bars. I like to breathe when I ride, so gimme some wide bars. Those are not knobbies, we're running 35mm Panaracer Paselas. Super versatile in the big width- scmoove like Eric B. & Raakim on the street, and very serviceable offroad. (It helps traction to have the trailer weighting the rear wheel.) I like that. The ability to ride wherever fancy takes me is rad. Getting Rad...

To the stairs for a hot lunch, (we had lentil soup, which J called "a brown lunch". Hmmmm) and beyond on trails toward Trail#50...




This is inneresting because it illustrates the line choices I have to make differently when pulling the trailer. Normally, I'd ride to the left to skip all the wet. With the trailer, I have to veer left around the 1st puddle, wait for the trailer to clear it, and then come back to the right line. At the far set of puddles, I have to skirt the middle right line ( mindful that the trailer tracks slightly left behind me). Keeping always in mind the position of the trailer is mostly 2nd nature. J lets me know if I screw it up and rock his boat too much.
Following is the branch I spoke about in the 2nd annual Jossholes employee ride. This is what I will recreate in papier mache at courses across the nation to throw my opponents off their line.

Today we saw 2 coyotes in different wetland areas, 3 hawks in trees, and lots of turkey tracks (up the Grind, which was a boggy mess in places). It was down #50, up the road climb towards #82, down same road and up the Grind to South Boundary to the Frog Pond to HWY 218 and back the bike path to Jose's for some veggie chimichangas.

Here's one of the wonderfully graphic and scarifying signs warning of unexploded ordinance. It reeks of supernatural piracy. Especially at twilight.
I'm tired. And I will crush you.

6 comments:

grommet said...

Should be titled "Don't push the yellow button"?? Where the hell did you get that 80's helmet condom?

reverend dick said...

You like that?!? You like that?!? People pay money for those things. Cuz it makes them look cool.J kept messing with my lighter, which has a red button.
So, yeah...CAPE!!!?!?

Anonymous said...

should be called don't push the weirdo. that cape is gay, brother.

reverend dick said...

Hmmm. Well, I guess they wore waxed cotton garments during the turn of the 19th century, yes. Now I needs me a bowler hat, and an eye-popping faceshelf. You're right, I should call it don't push the weirdo, mono frere...

grommet said...

You mean "gay" as in happy right? In contemporary usage, the adjective gay usually describes a person's sexual orientation, being the standard term for homosexual. In earlier usage, the word meant "carefree", "happy", or "bright and showy", though this usage is infrequent today. I like the bright and showy, it fits the cape.

reverend dick said...

grommet- I thought he was accusing me of luddite fashion. You know, the "gay '90's", the rip roaring c.1890 style of well-whiskered, rye swilling roughnecks. I can live with either.
Bright and showy? I will hide, camoflaged by that subtle self-tent, in your yard this Spring and grab at your ankles when you walk past all unseeing...