Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

06 December 2008

down with a sickness

The sickness of needing a new bike.







WANT, WANT, WANT. That Rivendell is hitting me where it hurts.

I may have mentioned before that I loves the mixtes. Well, it is true. And even though I think 650b is a STUPID idea (Ok if you are trying to make a 700c more useable- you know with a real tire, not some 23 booshee- then yeah, I can see it has a place. New bikes built around it? WHY?!? Just more incompatibility. If you have some techy opinion backed up by careful internet research, keep it to your gay forum, ok?)...still, a mixte that would actually fit me? Without some hoopty mile of seat post/stem flexing it ever which way? That will be priced at a reasonable (the Gloriuses are pretty and all, but dang! I can't see paying for one) rate? Well, I'm all knotted up over it.

The new Nigel Smythe bag looks pretty (big) tough, too. Apparently there is also an entirely new line coming down the Rivendell pike as well. Again, ouch! me tender bits. Ain't no drag...

And then, there is this guy, from Sartorialist...


Biting my style. Well, except for the hairs.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it a mixte if it doesn't have a twin top tube?

reverend dick said...

SLC instigator. Not really, but these days, I'll take what I can get...not that I'll be getting this, but you know. It's nice to see some kind of a mixte in production IN (near) MY SIZE. I guess Haro/Masi have a 3speed Soulville mixte out, with elegantly curved tubes, and Soma is putting a mixte out as well.

Anonymous said...

Just one more thing, and only because I share your profound infatuation for mixtes. The double top tube is forgivable, given the cost and complexity but, the top tube on said bike does not line up evenly with the midstays (did I just invent a bike word?). After noticing this, I can hardly look at the bike. You know, I'm anything but a purist, but the slightly off angle is soooooo offensive. How much did you say that cost?

reverend dick said...

I didn't.
It don't have a tag yet. This is pure speculation. It's being produced in Taiwan (designed in the USA), so cost should be lowish keeping in mind it is what it is.

And I truly believe you are not interested in mixtes at all, at all-EXCEPT as a way to stir the pot.

I will allow the observation of trivial PERCEIVED faults (and the subsequent magnification of same) does allow one to avoid temptation...

Anonymous said...

You are so wrong, I LOVE them, even brought them up (and their lack of inclusion) with the big red S. Now see where I went wrong? You have not cornered the market on mixte fixation; this happens to be one of the few bike areas where we overlap. Let's revel in it.

Gunnar Berg said...

I don't want to have to defend this AGAIN, but some of the finest mixtes ever made were created by Rene Herse, Singer and other contructeur giants, almost all of whom built their mixtes similar to the Rivs. The twin tube varients were mass production products of Raleigh and Peugeot, not because they were better, but because they were cheaper to make.

reverend dick said...

"One of the few bike areas"...everthing you've said has been a lie!
OK, Hevi, we can all be stoked on mixtes together.



Except for Gunnar, HE is obsessed...