Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

30 December 2008

BACK

...to the days of yes y'alling. J and I took the trailerbike up into the woods today for a Brown Lunch to remember. Because- I forgot the camera and the spoons and the matches.
Out of practice, I guess. I had thought to bring the firestarter to mess with and that ended up saving us. Well, that and J thinking of using the title page of his Ratatouille book as kindling (15 minutes in and the pine needles weren't catching). Using the firestarter is harder than it might seem, and I wanted to practice in a non-emergency situation. So we had a lentil stew. Sauteed the onions in the woods and added some collard greens, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and spices.

I can't explain why crouching in the woods and cooking lunch next to a bike on a pocket stove while looking to any passersby like a hobo with a stolen child (J always looks his best- today he'd opted to sport a sweater vest) is so satisfying.

But it is.




So we are returned from Colorado, and all well. There was a lot of Goodness packed in.

J liks to "hide" when he sleeps on roadtrips.





That is the lady I married...




Finally, we decided to take Highway 1 back up the coast from Paso Robles instead of the usual/quicker 101. Just South of Deetjen's, we spied this gift:





After all this time. Amazing. (sorry for my poor hand with the camera. you get what you pay for)



Hope all is well with you and yours. It is Good to be home.

3 comments:

Gunnar Berg said...

Pretty good luck being snowed in in a rustic cabin for two days.

Seeing "Going" picture I thought you were doing a telemark on proper long skinny skis and was about to award you 3 style (class) points. Saw "Gone" - realized you were just falling off a plastic board and deducted said points. Sorry.

Have a wonderful new year.

reverend dick said...

Sorry your eyes are "going". That was a fine upstanding tele turn there on the piste. You know, until I fell and all.

The WOOD CORE board was later, for the backcountry. I don't have the skills on the teles to ride them in the trees. So it is the easy way- the snowboard.

Point, and point again!

Gunnar Berg said...

I'm happy again.

I'm a little shakey on my turns, but L can swing in beautiful arcs - snaking left...right...left down the slope. I'm more of a "force the turn, fall down, get up and get re-aligned, go again" guy.