Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

14 February 2008

Now I gotta tune my beater.

"I know it's probably a real bad idea. We're gonna keep ridin." Pete D___, at the 1st Annual White Rim Overnight.

That statement is more or less relevant to my rides. It will be more relevant to that rotten County Line. ~60 miles of road/railroadtrack frontage/ beach sand. It's a real dumb time. Last year I trashed my Soulcraft ss, completely ruining the chain. So this year I'm wising up (though curiously I am riding it again, so "wising up" is dubious at best.) and riding my beater Peugot fixie. My theme will be: Portland Dandyism comes to Central California. I gotta find a quality (i.e. waxable) fake moustache tomorrow...
I must say finishing last year with this guymade the sand riding a lot more fun.(photo credit KB, lifted from HTATBL)





So here's why I stopped taking pictures quick in Portland. Check the Sycip pub bike.
Here's the fender and guard detail that really pulled me in.


Continuing the green/fendered townie theme from Bilenky...look closely at the front fender support, and it's leather washers. Bastards.
Black Cat Bicycles... "oh, you're at the party booth."

Our bike pile...can you see mine?

Drunken pictures of bike piles. Even the low end bikes in the piles here were inneresting, there were no cookie cutter bikes. I think it was the barends' placement that interested me on this one.


My quarters. Yes, that floor space.One night, I even had a sleeping bag & paco pad. That was the goodnight.




So today there was trailering. Feeling a little whipped from Portland, I kept it short(er) by staying in the hills. Quick climb up/down Aguajito, across the window on the bay (wind very nearly knocked me over riding no handed fussing with my jacket), and back up through Veteran's Park. Looking back NE on the park and further, the bay . Spent some time at the "periscope park" as J calls it. Continued sneakily up to Huckleberrry, and down into the forest where we had a "green lunch". Split pea soup, with tempeh sausage and crackers. Stoked to add twigs to the fuel in the Esbit today- _uck all yer fancy lightweight alcohol stove lightness. Let's see how useful it is when the fuel runs out, sucka. The twigs caught right away due to the 1/2 fuel tab we had left from last time, and after the fuel burned up, the twigs I kept adding kept burning...
Threw J's wool surplus blanket over the trailer, and you can barely see it from the main trail. Can you see it?
I gave Renay (it's spelled how?) from Rapha all kinds of crap for the incredible expense of their (everything) gloves last year. Shortly afterwards I found these golfing gloves at the Polo outlet for $16 each. Perforated white kid leather? Yayuh. Makes me feel like the Swiss, Hugo Koblet in the 1951 Tour.



Out of the woods and smoooth roads home.

Whew. Give thanks for days like these.



P.S. Someone found me by searching "don't push the dick" on AOL. I cannot express how happy that makes me...

5 comments:

fxdwhl said...

Those white gloves look a bit Dandy. Better get a 2nd mortgage for that Rapha kit, talk about buying your way into the club.

reverend dick said...

To their credit, the guys I talked to knew their goods were ridiculously priced. But, if there's a market for it...
And their ad went something like this:" overpriced roadie shite". And, plus one guy was sporting a "hate you, hate your bike" tshirt at the NAHMBS2008. And they all drank whiskey. So I had to love them in spite of their wicked ways which I don't understand.

I only break out the PERFORATED white leather gloves when I'm feeling foppish, anyways.

Anonymous said...

I guess you wear them all the time, then huh, Sir Foppy, King of the Dandy Lions?

reverend dick said...

I take off the kid gloves when I sock someone in the mouth. Don't want blood ruining the fancyness...

steevo said...

Thanks for the comment. I have never seen this and added it to my rss