Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

15 February 2008

Choose (and purchase?) your own adventure

I yanked this image from Wooster Collective. That man worked hard for that meal. He sweated and ran and earned.

The "handbikeshowjob" continues to resonate for me. All those rides were sweet. And there was some discussion regarding whether or not, if you were the new owner of a, say $5,800, fixxie you'd ride the bike lik a bike or treat it like an artpiece and hang it up except for Parades and stuff. I'd ride it, and not even regret the dings. I'd attempt to keep it clean, but I wouldn't sweat the dings. (there was also speculation as to the superior power : flight or invisibility...choose one)


A bike is a bike, fundamentally. It becomes easy, at a certain point in your obsession with bikes and bike rides, to narrow the focus. It becomes so narrow for some that Dura Ace is a mid range group. There is more and more specialization and fragmentation within this little group of ours. The Industry desperately seeks the next big thing, or at least cooler graphics. I want a new bike, too. My next sweet ride will be the Surly Big Dummy. Time to replace the flexy/creaky Xtracycle.

The larger obvious example of this grasping for Cool is fashion. People want (currently) a faded, worn, used, lived in Look. So they buy this and instead of miles of riding leaving scars- true life stories that are the wearer's own, they get (at best) a mad lib. Or they buy these
and fool (themselves) people into believing they've actually done something, anything real, in these jeans. That they've lived. The proof is right there, machine worn into the fabric of their being.

Society at large (here anyway) pushes people to acquire the accoutrements of adventure while pursuit of means to buy same keeps us from the adventure itself. This isn't news, I know. The story of the master who asked his disciples why they rode their bikes comes to mind. So, in light of all those beautiful bikes and shiny parts, I'd like to suggest that we not lose sight of the fact that (even) a bikepath Trek (shudder) is kickass if it's being used. And if that super tricked out custom "whip" sits in the corner, it sucks.

To see the bobcats, you have go where they are.
Or you could watch television.


Here's this. Which, to me, is an example of what drives people to vigilantism. Not me, but some guys I know would not let that one lie...






P.S. I know the guy who got the $5,800 fixxie, and he's gonna use the hell out of it. J____, I told the tall one with the pony tail that you were just gonna get drunk and crash it. He didn't know what to do with that, so I took pity on him and walked away.

14 comments:

The Minister said...

Indeed a bike is a bike, just as a computer is a computer, a woman is a woman, a nation is a nation...
you sure you want your Benediction to carry this message?
Of course you witnessed excess, of course you are suffering envy, you have survived the ultimate den of iniquity. Interbike is production, and stronger souls fall to its glitter. You went to a higher temple, where skill and style still hold sway.

Anonymous said...

i did not get the message that a bike is a bike. i thought a bike is not a bike UNLESs it's getting rode on.

what's the deal, rev. big dummy?

Anonymous said...

Flying would be WAAAY better than being invisible.

A mad lib? you use words a lot.

Anonymous said...

Phuk'n awesome post. You seem way smarter on teh interwebs.

And it will be ridden drunk, oh yes.

reverend dick said...

Wow, the anonymice came out of the woodwork on this one.

Hi little fellas!

El Directador...nations? feh. women? yes, they come in lots of colors and sizes, but only a few shapes. computers? uhhhh.
No, the thing that set me free was seeing that my Surly Long Haul Trucker, while not in the same league stylewise (or weight wise, let's be honest. hmmm, but if we're being honest, I'm not really so trim myself...)as those super fine foxy bikes, is serving the _ucking purpose like no other. I'm riding the hell out of that thing, it keeps taking it and the whole situation is _ucking Satisfactual. The only message I'm endorsing is straight from Fausto :"ride your bike, ride your bike, ride your bike." Oh, and send me $30 for my trouble/your sins. Of course, this is real easy for me to type, since Black Cat Bicycles already built me 2 custom rigs, and they are (quite literally) sssssmoking.

And anon. J- I am smarter on the intranut, it's easy- I have someone else do all my entries...
And so: Flying or invisibilty? Git your answers on!

Anonymous said...

Well I have to ask, how fast/well could I fly, and how invisible would I be, completely undetectable by the human eye, or that half ass Predator style camo? Also would my clothes become invisible, or would I have... no, get to run around naked to be completely invisible?


-Chet to tha Chet.

reverend dick said...

Totally invisible. I say old school invisible man style- nekkid only, and anything you lift (and by lift, I mean steal...) is visible. Others specified the invisibilty would be more of a "cloak" and you could....wait for it...gaffle anything you liked and get away clean. but this is my salon, and I say only your self is invisible. Totally.

Fly? Hella fast, bro. I think it would take some practice before you got good- not like flatland where it all comes easy.

Anonymous said...

Well that clears it up. Fly for sure. With that kind of invisibility, you would see my titanium plate and screws that held my wrist together foating around, totally giving my location away, rendering my powers useless to the trained eye. Plus I wouldnt want to be invisible anywhere cold, what with the "you have to be nekkid to be completely unssen" bit. Flying would be so much better.

"hey, I could go for a peanut butter and jelly sammich" *flys to the sto' to get the parts to make one*. See, thats priceless. The ability to fly all the way. Invisibility seems like it would get old after a while, yeah its cool and all, playing jokes on your friend with the ol floating pickle gag, and camping out in the girls locker room, but it would get old.


P.S.- Did you get my picture?


P.P.S.- If you spell Chuck Norris in Scrabble, you win. Forever.

reverend dick said...

For some, the question still stands. Feel free to weigh in people.

No. If I'd been Invisible, I'd have gotten pictures. I chose Being Buzzed as my secret power though, and this precluded more photos...

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, thats awesome. I just read about what what you said to Garret. They didnt really know how to take us last year in SJ, but they did put up with us for a long time. Theyre pretty cool guys. So did you get my photo shopped picture or what?

grommet said...

I've got some photo shopped pictures if you are interested? Eh Reverend.

reverend dick said...

You keep that picture under your hat.

grommet said...

Better yet, under my pillow.?

reverend dick said...

Wherever you need to keep it, so long as it's kept under wraps...