Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

18 June 2013

cause celebre

Day 3: in which the wanderers both return and set out anew.


You see I'm further mixing it up there than just the naturally ever-changing load configuration. That will happen as your food dwindles, and your cans are crushed, and your tastes change in perfect sync with the demands of the environment, season, and mayhaps even specific day. That's a normal, healthy deal.

Throw in my increasing dependence on the Kelly Kettle- please, learn from my mistake and get the large dang kettle. If you are willing to carry the small, you are willing to carry the large. Trust me. The added water capacity is worth it. If you balk at the small who could blame you? You are absolutely correct; it takes up a ridiculous amount of space, to say nothing of it's weight. On trips like these, I really should carry some Esbit variation as they are so light and compact. I notice none of my traveling companions ever complain about the bulk or weight of the kettle, though, so...perhaps I am to sensitive?

To return. You see the plump front end up there. It was some real camping world testing happening. Like I say, I've tried it a couple times on my locals and that's enough to form a permanent impression, certainly. It feels like a bison. I know that might sound odd, but I keep getting bison sensations when I ride it. 

It gets up and goes pretty good, even with the added slack from the longer Krampus fork on top of the taller wheel. I don't love it for the road bits, but it isn't for them. It does remind me how fun a svelte and shmoove cross bike is (while I'm riding it even), but it doesn't make the comparison a sour one. It's a fun ride. Real confidence inspiring loaded, I can tell you. Having (reasonable) weight on the front was no issue. Charging was definite. Ruling it was a given.





The benefit of having climbed so much the day before... 






We had rallied pretty well and made it to the p-lot by 9ish. A mile or so out we began encountering runners wearing number plates...


and when we rolled over to the truck we'd left the day before as the only vehicle in the lot, at least 4 parking attendants watched our every move. Well, because we'd parked sideways in the shady spot and were occupying at least 4 spots.


 They watched us drop our bikes and sit on the tail-gate to drink a beer. Yep.



BREAK.



 When we returned to Carmel, we resupplied our food bags, etc., and I again switched bikes. We picked up my youngest (J______) and frequent camping partner J____ too. Then it was on to Arroyo Seco to test a theory.

Folks' rigs:

J's.
  

 j's
 

mine. Again with the load fiddling. You can't tell, but I moved the red/orange bundle (tarp and pad) to underneath the rear rack, cinched tight away from the tyre. It was better that way.

 Out of town guest, Mysterious B___ S_____, again ran what he brang.




















 My silly wide 800mm Syntace bars. On receipt of these, one of the FNGs at the shop attempted to both bond with and one up me by talking about his new 808orsomethingmm bars. I believe I sneered. The point is not wider is better. It is nothing so geometric, it is wanting more leverage to handle weight- a fat, loaded bike at minimum. They work pretty good for that. This is not a good choice for ripping tight singletrack.



 But the bars and the boy did well on this singletrack leading to the spot about which we'd heard. I have it on Good Authority (and, now, so do you) that the waterfall campsites are quiet and peaceful.












Though it is not the time of year for the falls to be more than a trickle, especially in this dry year, it is a worthwhile spot. We hiked up there and checked out the creek.



Dinner was again a ready-made affair. I felt we were doing OK anyhow.

No comments: