Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

11 November 2008

____________ crazed thrill seekers.


You're just as bad as me.




Went Kar Kamping in Big Sur last couple days, at Plaskett Creek. We'd been invited by an old family friend, and it would have been very rude not to attend after accepting, so even though the campsite had changed and even though there would be a couple other families along now...I packed 3 kids (L is in Vegas for a convention until Thursday) in a pickup and drove south on HWY1 for an hour and a half to sleep in a tent in a fee Kampground in which every site was taken. Many by RVs or Kampers with generators. Ugh.

And no campfires.




I knew when I arrived it would suck. I knew when puttting my $22 in the envelope that I should've turned around and headed back up the coast for quiet, hard-to-access Prewitt Ridge, or a nice primitive site on the backside of it...but instead I set up our tent (on the only flat spot available, which was the paved area in front of the truck) while the children shrieked with the other families' children. A young couple walked up to the water spigot 20feet away from our site and allowed their dogs to lap directly from the faucet. JFC, I hate that type of blithely self centered behavior in a public arena. If they want to share their dogs tongue with his ass, they're welcome to it. I decline. I loudly told them, "That's nasty." but they tried not to hear me. The guy looked at me out of the corner of his eye, so I repeated loudlier, "That is NASTY." They walked across the street. The lady came back with her dog bowl and filled it.

At least it wasn't the pony and the shiny spigots, I guess. Friends T__ and J__ tell of a Kampground in which all the spigots had shiny polished brass nozzles and neatly clipped circles of grass surrounding them. The next day they noticed a pony had been tethered to one, and was busy rubbing its anus against the nozzle, which vanished and returned, vanished and returned....




Lots of noise. Lots of talk that had little to do with bikes or the riding thereof. Nice folks, just not a lot in common. D and I ruled it in the family on family Scrabble. We play strategically- hell yes we will screw you out of the triple word score just to keep you down.

Then it was the beach for hours. Let it be known: I do not care for the GD beach. I had my fill in Puerto Rico, and I could never ever see the ocean again and be perfectly content. A vacation in Hawaii sounds like a complete waste of time to me. Full stop.





But...THE KIDS HAD FUN.



Never let it be said I only dragged them on my chosen adventures. Interestingly to me, N said she thought "it's way better when it's just us." Damn right.

4 comments:

Lord Hayden said...

Thanks to your post, I spent at least 10% more time than usual on my bike commute thinking about pony butt plugs, and the possibility that horse people would buy pony bidets for their domicile.

Sounds like you had a blast!

reverend dick said...

My kids did.

I can only assume the pony had some kind of itchy intestinal parasite happening.

That, or it just knew a Good Time when it had one.

Little_Jewford said...

I hate to inform you that all 3 children were breaking the law....Its clear that they are modifying the behavior of that pinnaped...where are the nature police?

cowgirl said...

papa- sounds like u had the best time!
i had a good time at the beach.
but i stick to my word i still think it way better when it's just us!