Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

27 January 2008

How high's the water, mama ?



Man, it's killing me. The kids are running laps around the house yelling as loud as they can. They're playing hide'n'seek and my bathroom (with me in it) is in play. They don't hide in there with me, they just run through, but still. Friday night I couldn't sleep, maybe cuz of no riding (or maybe cuz my sweetie 's been in Vegas playing for 5 days and this has been solo parenting in the monsoon), so at 1am, I found myself on the rollers watching "Letters from Iwo" at max volume. It was pretty good. A little surreal under the circumstances.

Say what you want, I got manlove for Clint Eastwood. As for what you might say- you might wonder why he subjected us to "Million Dollar Baby". What I would say to you is:" Every Which Way But Loose", biotch. And then I'd mumble some things about "Hang em High", "Fistful of Dollars", mumblemumbleEnnio Morricone, mutha _uckasmumblemumble "Any Which Way You Can" and "Bronco Billy" before coming right at you with "Paint Your Wagon". If you don't know, now you know.

And, plus my daughter goes to the same (public)school as his, and at last year's Father-Daughter Dance (a rockin good time) I did the hokey pokey across the row from him. And the Macarena. And the Chicken Dance.

The man is a man. Then and now. Makes me feel like this:
Image stolen from this fine site.

When I was a boy (actually even now that I'm a Man) my dad would proclaim of whatever he was cooking:" I think this is the best _________ I ever made". I made a mess of potatoes and tofu scramble (can a tofu dish qualify for mess status? it was really damn good...) for breakfast this morning and told my kids that it was the best I'd ever made. They looked at me blankly. It was the 1st time I'd given the line to them . The scramble is a variation on the potatoes and eggs my dad made at least 2 times a week every week (yes, they were each better than the last), and it brought that line right out of me without effort. Those kids are in trouble now that it's back. They will never hear the end of it.

I called the ole man and told him about it. He's from the Old School and was less than impressed with the best tofu anything, I think. But he still got it. Wait till I tell him about the best vegan chili I ever made.

One thing my dad and I share-we listen to the Man In Black.

2 comments:

grommet said...

I got five words for you my man......"Two Mules for Sister Sara", this was the one western movie I always questioned while lounging around with my grandfather at Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. It somehow sucked you in and spit you out the other end with a smile on your face. Did you skool Clint on the monkey dance?

reverend dick said...

I hate to love Shirley McClaine. Your grandad brung you up right. As for the dancing- I didn't want to embarass N any more than baseline. She was shocked I did not already know the Macarena. I suspect a little disgruntled, too.
However, the Father-Daughter Dance is this Friday night, so I'll let you know. I requested Kool 'n' the Gang's "Celebration"...