Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

30 January 2008

Big talk, little walk.

Was all fired up this a.m. Sunshine! Powerful Xtracycle/roller powered legs...Got all the chores done, made sure my head was right and safe, strapped a 2'x2' box to the rack and headed to the P.O. to mail it. (regret no photo-too fired up) Rode aggressively through lite traffic down to the bottom of the hill. Waited in line. waited in line. waited in line...

Done! Flashed back up the hill to 68/HWY 1 interchange, and decided on Aguajito to get out
to the stairs for lunch. Decided to take Monholland to sneak behind the airport and avoid town-Cracked. That hill is fecking steep. Trailer...tugging...must...keep going...

Snaked thru Sea Side(!). A side , B side, and the...

Took 218 to the frog Pond trails. Was stoked to make the turn below:
Had to line the trailer up and punch the front wheel up the slope until the trailer crossed, then hard left and up into a 180 back right. Worth crowing about when a trailer's involved. Maybe.

At the stairs, we had split pea soup. Wasn't that great, but it was hot and on the bike. Bananas and CRISP Fuji apples rounded it out. Cold Hamm's for me.mmmmmm
J plays with the lighter disguised as a fish.



I found the windscreen stayed out of the way wrapped around the pot lid. May be some reflected heat increase too.

Then we compared gloves and rode home. Went to Family Art Night at the kids' school. Now, I am tired. That hill whipped my ass.

Upon reflection, I think the new found sense of wellbeing viz. the old S.I. pain is due more to the fact that it's been a month since I renewed the daily 1500mg of Glucosamine/Chondroitin rather than (1) Xtracycle ride 2 days ago and several roller sessions on top of the semi-regular kid riding. Or the ass-handing-to that I received on the Josshole's ride.

Still. Winter is what it is. Looking at what some are facing and continuing to ride through, I'm L-U-C-K-Y, and s-p-o-i-l-e-d. I did realize during the post office run that that's what it takes to develope the fitness I want later in the year. Commuting and errand running by bike just add so many little miles that add up. And it's the same as it ever was, gotta suffer through weakness/lack-of-fitness to get there...
Word.
Taking Aguajito and longer rides with J in the trailer will put us out trailering on Cachagua (spoken in a hushed whisper) in a month. I must keep reminding myself we trailered Mountain Charlie (!) last fall.
Felt hung up in left Tensor Fascia Latae muscle today. This is recurring for me. It feels like I have a twist and pull to the rear on the left there. Got some relief with the application of the LeMond wedges last summer, but they've worn down to the point of needing replacement. C. Burnham, of sidebar coaching fame helped fit me with them. Apparently everyone's foot has some degree of plantarflexion (the motion of increasing the angle between leg and foot), and by accomodating the foot's position, the wedges allow the leg to track evenly over the joints (ankle, knee,hip) as it's weighted. As opposed to, say, feeling like I've got to hold my foot at a certain angle on the pedal using muscular tension. If this sound like gobbledegook- it is. The wedges made me much more comfortable is the bottom line. It's also time to replace my cleats. And my trusty winter wheel (XT 8speed laced to MA3) is biting the dust a little flex more every ride.
Worked some on the tennis ball when I got in. The ischemic pressure (forces blood from the tissue, which helps flush the area as it comes rushing back in) from laying on the tennis ball. helps a lot. It's a good way to self-massage and work out trigger points in muscles. I need a massage. Time to go see my guy...

10 comments:

fxdwhl said...

I'm sure I'll have some action packed trailering posts this fall too. Most likely fixed to get all the suffering I can in a short time.

reverend dick said...

Amen, brother- that's that old time religion!

A word, though- fresh little people don't respond so good to being jostled and shaken. The trailer can be like a cement mixer at times. For sure wait until she's developed her neck muscles enough to have good control. Maybe next spring?

And, fwiw, we heard of friends of friends (reputable but still 3rd hand) whose baby had {gulp} incurred brain damage from getting bumped around from extended gravel road riding in the trailer...apparently this baby was young enough that they put her in a Bob in her car seat. So I understood it to be that she was so young she couldn't sit up on her own to be in a regular kid trailer. That would be heartbreaking.
And, congratulations! Babies are good. You're stoked.

Brett Svatek said...

Where'd you get the Hamm's beer?

reverend dick said...

Sport,
I got it from under those stairs. Appears there's a self-replenishing stock...

Until one you BASTARDS takes and doesn't replace- and then we have a dust up.
Referencing (again) the nearly full bottle of Woodford's reserve that was taken. The kid took the bottle and left the paper travel sack?
If I find out who...

Anonymous said...

see, the reason you cracked was, your leg only has those 2 muscles. mine has at least 3 or 4 more than yours, and that makes me fast.

Anonymous said...

http://totallyabsurd.com/extremecombover.htm

You welcome

Matt_J said...

Hamm's Beer, brings me back to the homeland, Minnesota.

From the Land of Sky Blue Waters,
From the land of pines, lofty balsams,
Comes the beer refreshing,
Hamm's the beer refreshing.

Hints of lakes and sunset breezes,
Dance and sparkle in each glassful,
Hamm's the beer refreshing,
Hamm's the beer refreshing.

grommet said...

Can you believe the Hamm's beer bear made his debut on TV in 1953? I'm kind of in a state of shock, I just realized that I've never actually drank a Hamm's before.?! I just remember the commercials always sucked me in as a young lad in the 70's.

reverend dick said...

Well, sounds like you done yer fack checking and I'd better believe it. I was gonna say:" wasn't there a polar ba'ar in the mix somehweres?"

You better git some Hamms, brother. It's priced just right...

It's no Oly, or nothin. I told the Mrs. to get me some cheap old man beer a few months back, just whatever's cheapest in a can...she came back with 211 Steel Reserve. STAY AWAY FROM THAT SHI_! It's a wino product like fortified wine, truly awful. I put them under the stairs in the hopes they'd get drunk for me but people only take the good stuff. Ended up drinking them each real fast while making faces. Which turned out sorta ok...

Brett Svatek said...

who knew this would turn to a walk down memory lane...I remember the Hamm's bear from my days in Wisconsin...loved that good-time bear.