Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

07 October 2008

...and here comes the WATER!


So this is just here for atmospherics- proceed.


I have been having a behind the scenes running argument with Mr. Coach Burningmanhandler with regard to... Demon Electricity! Yes, that's right, you heard right- and he's totally committed to the 50 bucks.


"Looks to me like something funny
Is going on around here
People laughin' 'n' dancin' 'n' payin'
Entirely too much for their beer."
That sounds like Interbike to me. And I will state , for the record here and now, this state of mind is still affecting our boy if he thinks electrickal shifting is what "we will all be riding in 5 years."

So let's see these mechanical protruberances that have got him upset:

Big ones!



Wet ones!


Big Wet ones!



In the innerest of full disclosure: I stole these photos from Speedgoat Cycles' Blog. And fuller disclosure: ELECTRONIC SHIFTING IS A PROBLEM WAITING TO HAPPEN. I am against them on principle. And looking at the photos, the rear derailer is still cable-activated which seems laughable in light of claims of futuristic leaps in performance and accuracy,etc. What? Huh? Naw, I'll use my kickass brain and fingers to shift. Especially since I'd have to use them to push these buttons anyway. Battery power seems significantly less reliable than human power, also. I further think biological pathways for electric stimulus are reliabler than these artificial ones. I have yet to short my nervous system.

Admittedly I have not ridden this equipment and am not qualified to speak, BUT. How much "better" can it be? And the answer is none more black.

I'll tell y'all what I told him, which is that in 5 years I'll be riding the same friction shifters as today. Ask me again in 10 years, 15 years, 20 years and the answer'll be the same. Maybe even the same pair. Because they work. They work great. They will continue to work great, and they are damn near indestructable.


"Whaddaya say fellas? Nice set of jugs?"
Now Shimano, how about shaking it around a little.

4 comments:

Chris Burnham said...

All I am going to say is you have to try it. It works well, really well. Like I said earlier, it still has to prove to be reliable, but if it is....

By the way, the system is wired but that is not a der. cable, its just the wire that sends the electrical impulse to the der.

reverend dick said...

Professore Sr. Bruyneelham- did you even listen to the song?

Lord Hayden said...

I think the lessons learned from Sy Borg might provide further fuel for your fire. Sure, the robotic plook-bot seems great at first, but when his electrical system shorts out you're screwed.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that's not the first time you used the word "reliabler."