Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

28 May 2008

wasted days and wasted nights

We left Santa Cruz yesterday at 3pm for a 60mile tour through the hills. Cross bikes out on dirt, then windy asphalt to a little singletrack down, a little fireroad up, a little more rolly singletrack, and back into town via HWY 1 rolling along the coast at sunset. Amazing light.
A little rye in the woods with a good friend, and some sweet riding.

And I snapped another of those damn alloy nipples! I had spent yesterday morning building a replacement rear wheel for that problematic set I've mentioned before, but didn't have time to get the right spoke sizes to rebuild the front. Dang! I knew that was gonna happen...alloy nipples suck. True as best I could, with the spoke twined about it's opposite, start to round the nipples, call it Good as it Gets, clear the brake?yes, roll on."Yo mama's got brass nipples" ain't an insult, it's a testament.

I have this fantasy island view of Santa Cruz as full of riders willing/able to ride stuff like that in that vein and at that sort of time at the drop of the hat...apparently that is not the case. I know somebody is riding something sometime. What's up SC punks?

5 comments:

macmorg said...

Jesus, the lightweight craze is such a blight, titanium this, alloy that... when I was a kid.....
Don't get me started.
OK, do.
When did we decide that inferior products that last a fifth of the time the old ones did were some how better?
I just broke my !@#$%^&* ALUMINUM Tomac frame, no warranty. All this aluminum stuff just steams my macadamia nuts. Besides, it's giving me alzheimer's.
What was I saying?

Lord Hayden said...

I swear this sea air doesn't help...I never had a problem with my road wheels back home, but after a year here my nipples were all corroded and falling apart (take THAT out of context!). Then again, the BONTRAGER emblem on the wheels is probably the root of my particular problem.

reverend dick said...

C- when you were a kid, our boy Sean Kelly was showing the peloton what a real hard man is.

lh- you are correct, the salty tang will give you grody nipples.

Lightweight is as lightweight does, and lightweight needs a sponsorship and a team mechanic to replace it after (every) race to avoid complaint. I avoid prebuilt wheels because I'm crusty, but it was KB who said : Light, Strong, Cheap- pick two.

And, plus fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. Maybe that's why I break stuff...

Anonymous said...

Freddy Fender is a true hard man.

Human Wrecking Ball said...

heh heh....you said nipples suck....heh heh..
W.B.