Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

29 May 2008

soothing pictures of kittens above you

Today I went to the dentist. My (new to the office) hygienist saw my cycling cap and started asking questions: what kind of bike I ride, what brand of bike (which I think was what she meant by what kind, only I assumed we were talking category) I ride, do I race, do I ever ride 24 hour races? Then she told me she had a full suspension S______ with XTR, and I looked at the comforting light fixture and tried not to clench.She asked me where to ride, and (when I got the opportunity) I told her Fort Ord was the best option locally. She said she had heard it was full of "vagrants" and that it was dangerous.

I laughed. I think it really brought her some comfort when I told her there are several squatters' camps in the trees only a few streets over from the office, but none in Fort Ord.

And then I went there and checked with my single speed. Nope, no vagrants. I did wonder if the rumor had gotten started because some square citizen saw some seedy looking guys cooking out there...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe she meant the vagrants actually ON the bicycles. i remember seeing packs of them there. like coyotes. pack of vagrants. yes'ir.

reverend dick said...

Perhaps. It just gives me the heebyjeebies when someone talks about their ride that way. I could not care less what bike you ride or what's on it. Alls I wanna know is: DO you ride?

She couldn't tell me where the good riding was to be had near 3 Rivers Ca; her old haunt and the place we'll be riding next week. Mysterious B____, I'm looking in your direction.

She was an excellent dental hygienist, though.

Anonymous said...

yea. i hear ya. the best is when someone finds out you like to ride bikes and they give you the

"oh, my brother (or whoever) rides! he's a got a Cameltale..Cannonball..something...it's got Shimango shifters on it and those springy things! he's REALLY into it! you guys should meet and ride together!"

you know what i'm talkin bout.

u have to fake the half smile and pretend you care.

people suck.

reverend dick said...

naaaah. Those folks're just trying to find something in common with you, they don't suck.

People who value their bike for what it cost or attempt to put you in their personal filing system according to the cost of your bike- those people suck. It's just a shame they don't get it at all. I believe it was Spearhead who said:"it ain't about who you love, it's all about do you love."