Next Full Moon

Sunday, May 3rd Full Flower Moon

27 March 2009

I don't know why you're upset. I was thinking about it in English.

So. Up last night on the TV screen was Elmore Leonard's Hombre starring Paul Newman as the 1/2 breed blue-eyed White Mtn. Apache John Russell. Richard Boone in his finest hour, even including being the voice of Smaug the Worm from Rankin-Bass' The Hobbit, as the (truly) bad man.


As this is close on the heels of the Louis L'Amour controversy, I feel I must say: this is POSSIBLY the best western ever. And Elmore Leonard wrote it, so I guess I'll smoke that shuttlecock. Hombre has several of Leonard's subtly effective throw-away lines that feel so authentic it makes me holler.The only time I'd seen this film before, I'd come in 1/2 way through it. The beginning is worth watching. If you need a western...here you go.

Hmmm, I think I'll rewatch Hud soon.

No comments: